Third overall at Tour de France - Montlhéry and Watkins Glen Winning\n1959 FERRARI 250 GT COMPETIZIONE ALLOY BERLINETTA\nCoachwork by Scaglietti - Design by Pinin Farina\n\nChassis no. 1519GT\nEngine no. 1519GT\n2,953cc SOHC V12 Engine\n3 Weber 40 DCL/6 Carburetors\n260bhp at 7,000rpm\n4-Speed Manual Gearbox\nFront Independent Suspension - Live Rear Axle\n4-Wheel Disc Brakes\n\n*Exceptional example of a rare 250 Competition Ferrari\n*Exquisite Two-year restoration by Modena's finest craftsmen completed in 2014\n*Certified by Ferrari Classiche\n*Displayed at the 2014 Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este and Goodwood Festival of Speed\n*FCA Platinum award at the 2015 Cavallino Classic\n\nThe Ferrari 250 Goes Racing\n\nGioacchino Colombo's famed "short-block" V-12 engine was tied to Ferrari's earliest racing campaigns, being the motive power behind the company's 125S and 166MM racecars, and the concurrent road car line developed around them. As engine displacement increased over the early years, the motors were implemented in the 212 and 225 Inter and Export models, which in some cases were used for racing but were more commonly sold as roadgoing customer cars.\n\nAs Scuderia Ferrari's sports car competition program developed in the early 1950s, it was Aurelio Lampredi's alternative engine design, the Formula 1-based "long-block" V-12, that became the mainstay of Maranello's sports car racing efforts. The Lampredi motor enjoyed much success in cars like the 340 Mexico, 375 MM, and 375 Plus, accounting for a majority of Ferrari's sports car racing wins between 1953 and 1956.\n\nDespite the overwhelming competition success of the larger Lampredi engine, Maranello continued to experiment with various cross-hybrids of their different chassis designs and motor specifications, maintaining that the Colombo unit might serve further racing purpose at some point. Sure enough, at the 1952 Mille Miglia, the short-block engine was enlarged to displace 2,953 cubic centimeters, and dropped into a 2,400mm chassis clothed with Vignale coachwork similar to a design used on the 212 Export. Chassis no. 0156 ET, officially dubbed a 250 S, was entered for Luigi Villoresi, but a last-minute substitution gave Giovanni Bracco the opportunity of a lifetime, and he delivered an inspired first-overall finish.\n\nRenamed the 250 MM, the same car showed great promise at Le Mans and was driven by Bracco again at the Carrera Panamericana, where a failing transmission during the last leg of the rally prevented what could have been another Bracco runaway. On the basis of these performances, the 250-specification engine was produced for a short run of 250 MM customer racing cars, and though the motors featured Lampredi-style heads, they marked the first competition use of Colombo's design with a 2,953cc displacement.\n\nFollowing the disaster of the 1955 24 Hours of Le Mans, the FIA implemented displacement limitations for sports cars, which had evolved into thinly veiled grand prix machines. Keen to take advantage of these new GT Classes, and to reclaim the Italian Sports Car Championship that Mercedes won in 1955, Ferrari introduced a new competition 250 GT in early 1956 with Scaglietti coachwork based on an earlier Pinin Farina show car design. The new model was marketed as a dual-use competition variant of the 250 GT road cars, with a body style henceforth defined as the Berlinetta.\n\nRight out of the gate the new 250 GT Berlinetta showed its potential, as the first car, chassis no. 0503 GT, took 4th overall and 1st-in-class at the Giro di Sicilia in April 1956 with Olivier Gendebien and his cousin Jacques Washer driving. The pair repeated the class victory with a 5th overall finish at the Mille Miglia the following month. But the new car's reputation was truly established at the fifth running of the Tour de France Auto in September 1956 when the Marquis Alfonse de Portago drove chassis no. 0557 GT to a dominating victory.\n\nThe remarkable Berlinetta earned scores of trophies at various European circuits over the next two years, with Gendebien notably winning the Tour de France in 1957 and 1958, giving the model a three-year sweep of the event. The 250 GT Berlinetta so thoroughly dominated the French rally that it was soon nicknamed the Tour de France, or TdF, sealing a place for itself in sports car racing history.\n\nTransitional Motifs The 250 GT 'Interim' Berlinettas\n\nAs 250 GT Tour de France production continued, several bodywork changes were made over the course of the model's three-year run. Perhaps the most obvious of these changes was evident in the rear quarter-panels, or sail panels, which featured varying numbers of louvers as the model evolved through three small batches.\n\nAt the Paris Motor Show in October 1959, Ferrari would soon introduce the realization of its Berlinetta concept on a new 2,400mm short-wheelbase platform. But the transition to this shorter configuration was not delivered in one decisive switch. During spring 1959, the Tour de France model underwent one final series of development, a fourth variation sometimes referred to as the interim Berlinetta.\n\nStarting with chassis no. 1377 GT, the 2,600mm-wheelbase chassis was clothed in a new Scaglietti body penned by Pinin Farina. The fresh design featured an under-sloping front grille, more rounded front fenders, and a bulbous fastback rear end with pronounced haunches. It is interesting to note the model's physical similarities to its successor, the 250 GT SWB Berlinetta. Generally identical in overall shape and dimensions, the earlier LWB Competizione model features a short rear quarter-panel window pane where the sail panels had been, essentially accounting for the extra 200mm in wheelbase length that would soon be lost with the switch to the SWB.\n\nStill built by Scaglietti with lightweight all-alloy coachwork, the new 250 GT Berlinetta continued on its forebears' competitive record at races such as the 1959 Le Mans, where 1461 GT finished 4th overall and 1377 GT followed close behind at 6th-overall (and 4th-in-class). Key to these successes were some recent advances in the Colombo V-12 engine architecture, which during the Testa Rossa campaigns had adopted a new outside spark-plug design with individual, non-siamesed porting. The new tipo 128 F architecture provided superior power, easier maintenance, and better reliability for extended competition use.\n\nWith just seven examples manufactured between April and September 1959, the last series of long-wheelbase 250 GT Berlinettas are characterized by unusual rarity, even by TdF standards. The model is a fascinating study in the design evolution of Ferrari's racing Berlinetta, incorporating elements of both the outgoing Tour de France chassis and the soon-to-appear 250 GT SWB bodywork. It also illustrates the genius of Scaglietti's coachwork interpretations, which time and again effectively reconciled Pinin Farin's two-dimensional designs with the various technical demands of Ferrari's evolving chassis, always to breathtaking effect.\n\nThe Motorcar Offered\n\nChassis no. 1519 GT is the fifth of the seven 1959 'interim' LWB Berlinettas that featured SWB-style coachwork mounted on the traditional 2,600mm wheelbase. On July 31, 1959, the Maranello factory sent this chassis to Scaglietti to receive lightweight Berlinetta coachwork, and a week later the Berlinetta was sold to the nickel company Soconemet S.A. on behalf of Jean-Pierre Schild, a founding member of the Ecurie La Meute, one of Switzerland's earliest racing teams. Schild had raced Alfa Romeos through 1956 and 1957, achieving a first-overall finish at the Coupes du Salon at the Circuit de Linas-Montlhéry in October 1957. By mid-1958, he had acquired a 250 GT, which he drove to a 2nd-place finish at that year's Coupes du Salon. Even after acquiring a 3-louver TdF (0747 GT) in late 1958, Mr. Schild still sought greater performance, and his new LWB alloy Berlinetta was officially completed by the factory on September 16, 1958, just two days before its racing debut.\n\nOn September 18, Schild and Roger de la Geneste entered 1519 GT in the Tour de France decorated with #161, as one of about fifteen 250 GT TdF examples in attendance, and one of three interim Berlinettas. After the grueling six days of sprints, hillclimbs, and circuit laps (including Le Mans), the Berlinetta placed an impressive 3rd overall, finishing behind only the two TdF's of the Ecurie Francorchamps, the first of which was driven by two-time reigning Tour de France champion Olivier Gendebien. A month later, Schild reprised his regular appearance at the Coupes du Salon, driving 1519 GT to 1st place in the GT class.\n\nIn March 1960, the 250 GT returned to the Maranello factory to receive some upgrades intended to keep it competitive. Most significantly, these measures including fitting Dunlop disc brakes all around. Following these official factory conversions, the car was exported in April to Luigi Chinetti Motors in New York, and in turn sold to John Bunch of New Canaan, Connecticut.\n\nFitted with a black rollbar and registered with tags reading "20-769," the 250 GT Competizione was campaigned on Bunch's behalf by Dean McCarthy of Syracuse in numerous SCCA events over the course of the 1960 season, including races at Cumberland, Marlboro, Lime Rock, Bridgehampton, and Watkins Glen. Highlights of the season included 2nd-place finishes at Thompson and Montgomery, with a 1st-overall victory at the Glen Classic at Watkins Glen in June.\n\nAfter 1960 there is little record of any SCCA use for 1519 GT, and the car was soon purchased by the well-known Ferrari privateer and dealer Bob Grossman. Following a minor accident, though, Grossman removed the original engine, transmission and sold the car to William Denger of New York, who stored it for many years. In the mid-1970s, 1519 GT was acquired by John Damron of Ottawa, Illinois, a nuclear scientist, and he similarly kept the car safely domiciled for many years.\n\nIn 1972, an esteemed Connecticut-based collector of important vintage Ferraris, entered the story of 1519 GT when he purchased a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta, chassis no. 2237 GT. Installed in the car was 1519 GT's original V-12 motor, as removed by Bob Grossman. Though he did not retain possession of the SWB, itself, for more than five years, he did recognize the significance of the unusual tipo 128 DF motor, which he put away for safe keeping and eventually sold it to Mr. Damron.\n\nIn 2011, the alloy Berlinetta became available when offered by Mr. Damron, who had owned it for over 30 years. The previously mentioned Greenwich-based Ferrari collector agreed to buy the car from Mr. Damron, and set about a complete restoration of the complete body, chassis and original engine. Italian specialists Diena & Silingardi were commissioned to rebuild all the running gear and the original motor, Tappezzeria Luppi re-trimmed the interior, while Carrozzeria Autosport Bacchelli & Villa (the renowned restoration house founded by former employees of Drogo and Scaglietti) restored the coachwork, finishing the exterior in the Ecurie la Meute's Swiss livery of red with a central white stripe. As their reputations would suggest, the work of these old-school Modenese craftsmen resulted in exquisite detail and artful execution.\n\nFollowing completion of the two-year restoration in 2014, the car was authenticated by the Maranello factory with the desirable Ferrari Classiche Red Book. As noted by the Red Book, all major components in the car remain original, including the engine, body, suspension, and brakes. The lone exception to complete originality is the gearbox, which is the correct tipo 508 C, though the unit is not original to chassis 1519 GT.\n\nBolstered by the breathtaking, handcrafted restoration and the assurance of factory-backed authenticity, 1519 GT was presented at the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este in May 2014. It subsequently ran the hill climb at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in June 2014, and in Brandon Wang's "Le 250 Tornano a Casa" tour in France and Italy later that month. In January 2015, the Berlinetta was presented at the 24th Annual Palm Beach Cavallino Classic, where it won a Platinum Award and took home the Excellence Cup 2 for best restoration. At the Mar-a-Lago Concours d'Elegance held during the same weekend, the car won an Excellence in Class Cup, while four months later the Berlinetta garnered the Best Ferrari award at the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance, rounding out a very impressive list of exhibition accolades.\n\nStill displaying the benefits of its immaculate restoration, chassis no. 1519 GT is an extremely rare and historically important competition Ferrari. Not only does the car represent a fascinating design transition to the more widely produced 250 GT SWB Berlinetta, but it exemplifies the competition success of the early 250 GT Berlinettas at the Tour de France Auto, where the model performed so well that it became synonymous with the race. This unique and race-pedigreed 250 GT Competizione Alloy Berlinetta would constitute a crowning addition to any postwar sports car collection, and should particularly attract the interest of Ferrari connoisseurs and sports car racing aficionados.