Henry William, 1st Marquess of Anglesey
Henry William, 1st Marquess of Anglesey (1768-1854) was the eldest son of Henry Paget, Earl of Uxbridge (d.1812) and his wife Jane, daughter of Arthur Champagné, Dean of Clonmacnoise, who he married in 1767. Educated at Westminster and Christ Church College, Oxford, Paget entered Parliament first in 1790 representing the Caernarvon boroughs and later for Milborne Port. He served in the Staffordshire militia, which was commanded by his father and, in 1793, raised a regiment of infantry from his father's tenantry. In 1794 he, along with his regiment, joined the army fighting the French in Flanders, under the Duke of York. He was made Lieutenant-Colonel of the 7th Light Dragoons in 1797, rising in rank to Lieutenant-General by 1808. He distinguished himself as a cavalry officer whilst serving in Spain, Sir John Moore writing of the cavalry in 1808 'Our cavalry is very superior in quality to any the French have, and the right spirit has been infused into them by the example and instruction of their two leaders, Lord Paget and Brigadier-General Stewart.'
He was recalled to the army in 1815 to fight in the Battle of Waterloo and appointed to command the whole of the cavalry and horse artillery under the Duke of Wellington. His involvement in the Battle of Waterloo is most famously remembered for the loss of his leg as he was riding alongside the Duke of Wellington. Upon receiving grapeshot to his right knee, he supposedly told Wellington: 'By God Sir, I've lost my leg' to which Wellington is said to have replied 'By God Sir, so you have.' Paget's leg was amputated and buried beneath an elaborate memorial in the village of Waterloo. In recognition of his services he was created Marquess of Anglesey on 4 July 1815 and later received the Order of the Garter in 1818. In the Duke of Wellington's administration he was appointed Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland and on the question of Catholic emancipation replied to the King 'I will not be considered either protestant or catholic; I go to Ireland determined to act impartially between them, and without the least bias either one way or the other.' However his relationship with Wellington became increasingly strained and he was recalled from Ireland by the end of the year only to be reappointed by Lord Grey in 1830. He was made Field-Marshal on 9 November 1849.
Paget married twice, first to Caroline Villiers, daughter of the 4th Earl of Jersey, and secondly to Charlotte, daughter of the 1st Earl Cadogan. Following his death at the age of 86 he was buried at Lichfield Cathedral.
Henry, 1st Earl of Uxbridge
Though now engraved with the crest of his son Henry, 1st Marquess of Anglesey, this extraordinary pair of candleabra, once part of a set of four, with the other two most recently sold from the collection of Giorgio Marsan and Umberta Nasi, Christie's, London, 12 December 2007, lot 38, were ordered from Messrs. Wakelin and Taylor on 19 September 1792 by Henry, 1st Earl of Uxbridge. Born Henry Bayly, Paget was the eldest son of Sir Nicholas Bayly, 2nd Baronet, of Plas Newydd in Anglesey, by his wife Caroline Paget, daughter of Brigadier-General Thomas Paget and a great-granddaughter of William Paget, 5th Baron Paget. He succeeded as 10th Baron Paget in 1769 on the death of his mother's second cousin the Earl of Uxbridge and, by Royal Licence on 29 January 1770, took the name of Paget in lieu of Bayly. In 1782 he succeeded his father as 3rd Baronet and was created 1st Earl of Uxbridge of the second creation in 1784.
Paget served various roles through his life, including Lord Lieutenant of Anglesey and later of Staffordshire, Constable of Caernarfon Castle, Ranger of the Forest of Snowdon, Steward of Bardsey, and Vice-Admiral of North Wales. He married, in 1767, Jane, daughter of Arthur Champagné. On his death in 1812 he was succeeded as 2nd Earl of Uxbridge by his eldest son Henry William who was later created 1st Marquess of Anglesey.
The Garrard Ledgers and the Earl of Uxbridge Commission
A remarkable and fascinating record of silver produced in the 18th century is preserved in the 'Gentlemen's Ledgers' of the goldsmith Edward Wakelin, and his successors in the business, his son John Wakelin, William Taylor, John Parker and Robert Garrard. In these ledgers we are able to discover the contemporary description of silver commissioned by many of the great families of England, along with full details, weights and costs, not because the invoice remains in the archives of the families, but because of a chance meeting between the silver scholar Norman Penzer, and Garrard's company secretary, on the afternoon of a sale held by the company in 1952.
Penzer had bought a number of Royal Plate inventories in the sale. He was asked by the company secretary whether he would be interested in seeing a number of their old ledgers. The 'old ledgers' proved to be a unique run of company accounts dating from the time of the goldsmith George Wickes in 1735, through to the late 19th century. Penzer, Arthur Grimwade, Christie's Director of Silver, and John Hayward of the Victoria and Albert Museum, worked throughout the afternoon, sorting and stacking the books, which were then delivered to the Victoria and Albert Museum. Now available on microfiche, the ledgers are an unrivalled source of information, regarding the use, description and cost of all manner of silver and silver-gilt objects.
The present candelabra, designed in the George III 'Roman fashion' and meant to evoke the sacrifices at Loves altar in antiquity, along with their matching pair, would seem to be the only 18th century examples to have appeared on the market. It is probable that with the Uxbridge candleabra, along with those recorded in the Gentlemen's Ledger as being ordered by Thomas Dawson, 1st Viscount Cremorne, in May and December 1791 are the only examples of this pattern to have been made in the 18th century. The order of the Uxbridge examples are recorded as follows:
Lord Uxbridge Sept 19th 1792
To 2 pairs fine twisted pattern candlesticks like Cremorne's 161 ozs. 15 dwt @ 5/8 £45.16.0
To making 6/s- per ozs.£48.10.6
To 2 pairs do branches do 198 ozs. 10 dwt. @ 5/8 £56.4.0
To making 10/6 per oz.
To King's duty on 360 ozs. 5 dwt. 180/2
Engraving 12 crests and coronets 12 each
THE MARQUESS OF ANGLESEY'S CANDELABRA A PAIR OF GEORGE III SILVER TWO-LIGHT CANDELABRA
The estimate on this lot is £250,000-£350-000 and not as stated in the printed catalogue.
John Wakelin, late 19th Century, candelabra, All other categories of objects, lighting, silver, England, Georgian, Neo-Classical
EUROPEAN FURNITURE & WORKS OF ART
Each on circular base, the baluster stem and base each entirely cast and chased with swirling flutes, the similarly chased branches with plain wax-pans and detachable short reed-and-tie cast nozzles, with central cast flame finial, the wax-pans and top of the stem each later engraved with a crest within a Garter motto and below a marquess' coronet, each marked on edge of foot, on socket, finial, arms and nozzles, the bases further numbered and engraved with a scratchweight '1 40"3' and '3 40"15' the candlearms further numbered '2' and '4' 16¾ in. (42.5 cm.) high 177 oz. 18 dwt. (5,533 gr.)
Parker and Wakelin Gentlemen's Ledger, Victoria and Albert Museum, Art Library.
M. Clayton, The Christie's Pictorial History of English and American Silver, Oxford, 1985, p. 201 no. 6 (one of the set of four illustrated).
M. Clayton, The Collectors Dictionary of the Silver and Gold of Great Britain and North America, Woodbridge, 1971, p. 54, no. 66A (one of the set of four illustrated).
Commissioned by Henry, 1st Earl of Uxbridge (1744-1812) from Messrs. Wakelin and Taylor on 19 September 1792, and by descent to his son
Henry William, 2nd Earl of Uxbridge, later 1st Marquess of Anglesey (1768-1854), whose crest is engraved, circa 1815, on each, and by descent to
Anonymous sale; Christie's London, 23 June 1976, lot 58 (as a set of four).