A REGENCE ORMOLU-MOUNTED TORTOISESHELL 'BOULLE' RELIGIEUSE CLOCK
By Gaudron, Paris, circa 1720 and later
The arched case surmounted by a cockerel and orb finial, above four vase finials, the pediment supported by caryatid busts, with moulded bezel and glazed door above a pair of reclining figures, signed in the arch Gaudron A Paris, the twin train rectangular movement, formerly quarter-striking, signed to the backplate and striking the hour on a bell and once in passing on the half, on scrolled feet, on a later conforming base
68cm high, (one pendulum and one plinth)
Pierre Gaudron, Faubourg St-Germain, Paris, is recorded working 1690-1730 (Maitre 1695). He was appointed Clockmaker to the Regent, Philippe d'Orleans.